Monday, September 2, 2013

My name is Corey Weber and I am in my final semester at California State University Northridge. I will be getting my Bachelors degree in English Literature Subject Matter in December.  I am excited to finally be graduating after SEVEN years in college. it has taken me quite a while to get to where I am today and none of it would have been possible without the help and encouragement from my family and friends. They are the ones that have kept me going and i am ever so grateful for them to have stuck by my side and not given up on me. 

After I graduate I am hoping to continue my education by getting my Master's degree in either English or education. With this I am hoping to become an English teacher in High School and my end goal and dream is to become a college professor. i am not sure what it is that has driven me to pursue the idea of becoming a teacher. Everyday i question as to whether or not I am making the right decision, but then when i step foot inside of my classes at CSUN I am reminded as to why. Myself and those around me who want to teach have such enthusiasm for what they are or may do one day. We know that teaching is not a easy job and that it is a thankless one. But we believe that if we can help those in high school, middle school, elementary school, and even college to see that getting an education, working your hardest and not letting anything get in your way is always worth it.

Throughout my college career I have seen technology come into the classroom and get involved in the way professors teach more than ever. Technology has helped in the sense that it makes it easier for professors and teachers alike to present to their classes without having to hand out papers filled with notes to their students. Also it has almost eliminated the need for chalk boards or white boards in certain fields I.e. English. Although this portion of technology has been beneficial to all that are involved in it, but I feel that when it comes to the younger generations, it has become a handicap for them. 


When I have volunteered to correct papers for local high school students, most of them will bring me an electronic copy of their paper. This is inconvenient because i cannot write notes on them like i would a physical copy. Also many of them assume that because it is on a computer that I will just correct their papers for them and they will not have to fix any of their own mistakes. I think we need to teach our students that even though we are progressing into a more technological age, that rereading and correcting their work on physical copies allows them to see their mistakes and how to correct them more clearly. Most of us who write their papers solely on a computer will see that their papers have more mistakes (no matter how many times they are reread and spell checked) than those who print out a copy, review it and correct it from there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment